And what the people have said is, “We would like to see Anatomy of a Game write-ups on a good many different titles.” Some interesting suggestions in there. Thanks to the dozens of people who responded! As it turns out, two series were name-dropped most frequently… and, not surprisingly, they’re Nintendo’s other “big” franchises.
- Mario: By far the most popular selection. World 1-1 of Super Mario Bros. has been analyzed practically to death by the entire Internet, but maybe I can find something new to say about it? And sooner or later Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3 should be showing up on 3DS Virtual Console, which is definitely the most convenient way for me to play and critique these titles. So this seems auspicious.
- Metroid: This one was bound to happen anyway. The original Metroid has a few moments of good design followed by a lot of bad choices, and Metroid II is just weird. But man, Super Metroid is a crowning achievement of design. I kind of feel like I should save that one for very last.
- A Link to the Past: Obviously I’ll write about this one, too, but I was thinking of waiting until shortly before the sequel comes out this fall. Does Alundra count as a sequel?
- More Castlevania: All in due time! I was thinking of doing up Super Castlevania IV, Bloodlines, and the Game Boy titles as a single grouping, then combining Rondo and Symphony into a third.
- Bionic Commando: This and Duck Tales would make a nice pairing, I think. Two Capcom NES games that force players to rethink platforming… and both remade in HD.
- Final Fantasy: I’m still strategizing this series. The original Final Fantasy and IV through VIII definitely merit study, but I kind of don’t want to have to deal with II and III again, thoroughness be damned.
- Shiren the Wanderer: I was surprised by how many people mentioned this, but I love that they did. Definitely a learn-through-doing kind of experience, which is what Anatomy of a Game is all about. But I’d need to figure out how to reset my cartridge back to its initial state.
So, thanks again. The path is clear….